Modernizing Public Comment: Potential, Perils, and PitfallsVirtual event hosted by the American Bar Association
This event features Steve Balla and Bridget Dooling.
- The Regulatory Policy Committee and the Rulemaking Committee of the American Bar Association's Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice Section will host this free event over Zoom.
Modernizing Public Comment: Potential, Perils, and Pitfalls
- Thursday, May 20 from 3:00-4:00 pm
- Steven J. Balla - Associate Professor of Political Science, Public Policy and Public Administration, and International Affairs, George Washington University
- Bridget C.E. Dooling - Research Professor, George Washington University
- Reeve T. Bull (moderator) - Research Director, Administrative Conference of the United States
- Daniel Cohen - Assistant General Counsel for Regulation, Department of Transportation
- Nina A. Mendelson - Joseph L. Sax Collegiate Professor of Law, University of Michigan Law School
Recent technological developments, including the rise of the internet and advances in artificial intelligence, have created new challenges and opened new opportunities for agencies engaged in rulemaking. On the one hand, new technologies have made it possible for computer programs to generate and submit comments to agencies, some of which may be submitted using false identities. And the rise of eRulemaking generally has made it much easier to submit comments, increasing the volume of comments agencies receive at least in high profile rules. On the other hand, new technologies also may help agencies process large volumes of comments and derive useful information from the comments received. This panel will explore both the challenges and opportunities, considering ways agencies can best use new technologies to manage and enhance the public comment process.
Registration is Limited and will close when capacity is reached. Deadline for Registration is Wednesday May 19, 2021 at 5 pm ET. Zoom access and Zoom Registration is required for all participants. After registration, you will be sent a participation link.
Questions or Special Needs?? Please e-mail [email protected]